Smoking ban was fraudulently put on ballot

This piece speaks for itself. "Opponents of Ohio's indoor smoking ban said yesterday that they have uncovered evidence of "massive" voter fraud on the part of ban proponents -- more than three years after voters approved the curbs on smoking.

"The group, Opponents of Ohio Bans, said the petition that placed the smoking ban on the 2006 statewide ballot was tainted by numerous irregularities, such as 47 convicted felons gathering signatures and signature-gatherers in 77 counties wrongly listing the American Cancer Society as their employer. The new allegations mirror claims raised during the 2006 campaign. However, opponents of the ban say there's now even stronger evidence of wrongdoing.

"Nearly 59 percent of voters approved the ban in 2006. Officials in Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner's office said there's no precedent to invalidate a law passed by voters on the basis of problems in the petition process. In fact, Ohio law makes that impossible.

"Carroll said his group is pushing for changes in the law, such as exempting private clubs, outdoor patios and family-owned bars from the ban. Carroll also wants the state to refund fines assessed against bars for violating the ban, and to pay reparations to the more than 300 bars he said have gone out of business due to the anti-smoking law."
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/11/13/smoki...

All I can say is, Good luck. But it won't help the thousands of small business people who have lost millions and gone out of business. This is tyranny of the majority at its worst.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (4 votes)

When trying to end the rights of others rules tend not to matter much.

BTW - My Marines have to smoke over 50 ft away from all entrances and exits. Has it stopped their legal right of smoking? Nope. It has made them have to walk farther and thus smoking breaks are longer.

Also, they are now trying to prevent "tobacco products" from gov't buildings. When did dip and snuff start causing "second hand cancer"?

MikeyA

"A Pentagon-commissioned report urges the Defense Department to ban smoking in the military, even by combat troops in battle zones, a proposal that quickly ignited a controversy among service members. The study recommends closing “the pipeline of new tobacco users entering the military” by prohibiting tobacco use in the service academies and officer-training programs like ROTC and eventually instituting a total ban on all use of tobacco by active-duty personnel." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31911204/ns/health-health_care/

I remember when fighter jets used to have ASHTRAYS in the cockpits. No fooling! This country is really getting to be crazy. I sometimes wonder if we're fighting the wrong enemies. Remember the Pogo comic strip? "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Oh the inherant danger of smoking WHILE GETTING SHOT AT....

gah....idiots...

“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”

Yeah I saw that report. There are enough Generals that I know of who used tobacco that I don't think it will ever get off the ground.

MikeyA

We all know that the petitions which put this "law" on the ballot did not have the words "Whoever Commits Election Falsification is Guilty of a Felony of the 5th Degree." written in BOLD RED INK on the top of each page.

This should never have been on the Ohio ballot in the first place.

Carty, and the Ohio Courts said so.

Don't blame me,
I didn't vote for a
socialist.

Smoking ban laws disabling business owners are absurd! Enacting them fraudulently should land these lawmakers in jail! If our country was a democracy, 51% of the people could decide they want to kill the other 49%. That is why our nation is a Constitutional Republic, to protect the minority, in this case, smokers! These days laws are enacted by polls. We need to get rid of these lawmakers who keep giving anti-smoker voters anything they want and elect those that abide by the U.S. Constitution. I think all bar owners should file a class action lawsuit against the state for trampling their private property rights! These are thugs enacting these laws in the first place!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.